Sunday, January 4, 2015

A Year Later


 


I can hardly believe we've been living here a year now.  We've been in awe of the beauty around us and thankful for our acceptance into the community.  It's been exciting and frustrating renovating the house but it feels like home and we can see the end is near.  We are so happy we made the decision to retire in the beautiful province of Nova Scotia and that we found the property we now call home in the village of Liscomb.

In anticipation of winter, we moved the Muskoka chairs back from the ocean so as not to lose them to the winter storms.  Tables were stored in the barn along with all the garden decorations...... we're ready for what winter brings!  So far we've been lucky and have had mostly rain.

The meadow changed significantly from last year.  It was being taken over by bayberry, blackberry and blueberry bushes along with so many wild roses that the grasses were being choked out.....decision time......to cut it back or not.  I started by cutting it back closest to the house by about 20 feet as well as down by the ocean but then I got on the tractor again.  I've cut it back drastically leaving only a swath of bayberry and the odd bush for interest.  We left the meadow in front of the barn all the way down to the old apple tree and sitting area.  We love the look.

              
 

We had friends visit in June and family in September and can hardly wait to see who visits next year. 
 
We've really made great strides with the renovations.  Both bathrooms have been renovated, the kitchen is installed with only some mudding, sanding and painting to be done and the livingroom hardwood floor is down.  As frustrating as the renovation has been, we love what we've done so far....well I should say we love what Irvin has done.  Whatever would we have done without him?  Now we will start the messy job of mudding and sanding the kitchen and halls.  I am dreading this job knowing that there will be dust everywhere for months.  At the same time I will be glad when it is done so I can get to the painting and wallpaper. 
 
 

 

I've cooked my first lobster, mastered fishcakes and learned how to make seafood chowder.  We ate so much seafood our first year that Michael cringes at the thought of fish now and doesn't want to see another lobster until next season.
 
 
 
Andrew, Irvin's son, took us out in his boat for a tour of the harbour.  It was great seeing what was beyond the island off our property and even more exciting to see our property from the water.  Next summer we are going to head out in our canoe to explore the shoreline....on a really, really calm day! 
 
 
 
Clam Bay is a really spectacular beach and holds a sandcastle competition each year.  Well, there are sandcastles and then there are sandcastles.  We saw the most amazing creations made from sand and offerings from the ocean.  It was a wonderful day and will probably be one of our annual events.

           
 
           

 
 

 Michael dragged the dory up from the ocean hoping it could be repaired but unfortunately it's too far gone.  It is such a shame it was neglected for so many years.  He was going to burn it but I suggested putting it under the big old tree by the barn. We've put garland and lights on it for Christmas and it makes such a picture.  Next year I'll paint it and it will look like new even though it will never see the ocean again.


 


Our second Christmas arrived before we knew it.  Time moves just too quickly, especially now that we are both retired.  This was a difficult Christmas for me.  I missed my family and friends.  Last year wasn't so bad, probably since it was our first in the new house and there was so much excitement around that.  This year was much different especially for me.  I was sad  I wasn't there Christmas Eve with my mom who is now in her 98th year, and I was sad I wasn't there for the chaos of the family dinner at my brother's.  I missed the children opening their gifts, Rick continually gathering up the ripped wrapping paper and stuffing it all in that large black plastic bag, Barb checking the turkey, talking to my nieces and nephew about this and that, letting our dinner get cold while we said grace,  popped the Christmas crackers and read our messages.  I missed mom insisting we all wear those silly paper hats that come in the crackers and I missed being so tired that I couldn't wait to get home and put my feet up.  Instead Michael and I had a wonderful relaxed day and cooked a ham for dinner instead of turkey.  We watched movies, talked about Christmases past and reflected on the future.  Perhaps we will head back to Ontario next Christmas, weather permitting, to be a part of what Christmas is all about...FAMILY!
 
This is the beginning of a new year.  We are getting ready to start the rest of the renovations.  I am working on another quilt, another original since I don't seem to be able to figure out the pattern.  A storm is coming in today.  It is snowing now and very beautiful.  My snowshoes are by the door and the trails are ready.  We are hoping Haydee and Robert will return for another visit and that Colin and Laura will come down in September.  Simone is supposed to stop in on her way either to or back from Newfoundland (I wonder if she would pick me up and take me with her..lol).  We'd love it if Nina would come down.  We never know who will show up but our door is always open.
 
We wish all our friends and families a healthy, happy and safe 2015.
 
Love Anna and Michael
 
 




 
 






No comments:

Post a Comment